619.843.0997

An air conditioner is a necessary investment for your home, but it can be expensive. So, when something goes wrong with your “investment,” the decision to repair or replace it can be challenging to make. On the one hand, getting a repair would allow you to keep your current AC system with a component or two replaced or adjusted. On the other hand, a replacement would fit your home with a newer and – hopefully – more efficient model.

When we say it like that, the new system usually sounds more desirable. But is it more practical? In this article, we at Carini, a trusted AC company and 24-hour plumbers in San Diego County, will explore the pros and cons of AC system repairs and replacements to help you make the best decision for your home. Whatever you choose to do, our technicians are ready to get you out of the San Diego heat as soon as possible!

The Rule of Thumb

For years, contractors have recommended a quick calculation to help customers decide on the best course of action: if the repair cost is 50% or more than the value of the system, you should replace it. Think of it in terms of a totaled car. When the damage is too great, and the repairs will cost over half the car’s value, it is considered a total loss. The same logic applies to your air conditioning system:

Scenario #1
If the value of your AC system is $6,000 and the cost of repairing it is $4,500 (75% of the unit’s value) the best option is to get the replacement and make up the remaining 25% in energy efficiency savings over time.

Scenario #2
The same system requires a $3,750 repair (62.5%). Although the cost is still over the 50% mark, it may still have a long life ahead of it with the repair. The $2,250 savings from not replacing it might be more attractive and practical.

In the latter case, the decision becomes a little more difficult to make. Scenario #2 exhibits why, although the 50% rule is helpful, it should only be used as a starting point. There are quite a few more things to consider.

Additional Considerations

If you have done the calculation and you’re not entirely convinced, watch the brief video below for some more advice:

As you can probably see, there are many things to think about when you are between repairs and a replacement for your AC system. If you are unsure of what to do and need a professional opinion, or you have made your decision and need a specific air conditioning service, we at Carini can offer you our expertise and affordable services 365 days a year. Call us to set up an AC repair or replacement or even to replace a sink drain in San Diego today!